Thursday, January 28, 2010

spinning down the stash

I've been having a lot of fun lately spinning my way though a HUGE bag of lovely batts that I got from Spinners Hill last fall at Rhinebeck:

spinners hill label - in case I lose it

They are blend of corriedale, finn, and rambouillet wool with mohair. I'm shooting for a rustic, long-draw worsted weight yarn, but I'm trying not to over-think it too much and am just spinning and planning to ply together the first and last bobbins to even things out.

bowling with bobbins

I've been spinning a bobbin a day, and now that I only have one bobbin left it's time to start plying. I still have about a third of the batts left, so I'll be able to knit a cabled jacket or a cozy for my car. Maybe 2lbs, 2 oz was too much? I didn't want to run out...

bobbins and bobbins

7 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I love the stickies you used to number it all. I have 1.5lbs of a cornflower blue cormo mix from them to spin up sometime. The bag must be huge!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Manise said...

Love the soft singles you've spun. I have a large bag of reds and blacks from Spinner's Hill that I need to spin up. Cute stickies.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice! I have a bag of Spinners Hill that I should get going too!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Oh how fun! I got a giant ball of yarn from spinner's hill too - i have only spun up about 8 oz so far - and have about 2lbs also! Can't wait to see it plied up!

8:40 PM  
Anonymous SockPixie said...

This looks really beautiful!

10:15 PM  
Blogger movintomozy said...

I love that you thought maybe you would run out with 2 lb. 2 oz.!!!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Really beautiful yarn--is this what you made? How did you get into spinning? I pick up SpinOff magazine once in a while but feel overwhelmed without live instruction.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home