Tuesday, October 24, 2006

new hat

I'm thrilled to report that I just heard that Ella Rejoice, the recipient of the mitered blanket just arrived today. Welcome Ella!

In other news, as predicted, I got a tinsy bit bored with my other projects, flirted with a skein of Manos del Uruguay and made a hat. I've been kind of hankering for a beehive shaped hat and here she is.



I love the way this hat fits and can be pulled down over my ears or scrunched up tight. This is the closest yet I've come to imagining what I want and having the results be pretty darn close to what I was hoping to have.



Here's another shot of her in front of my bulletin board in my studio. Just to include a tiny glimpse of things that amuse and inspire me. The newest member on the board is a Rilakkuma (mr. relaxed bear) air freshener. Thanks Tomoko!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger tomoko said...

I love... LOVE the beehive hat!!! That makes you honey, right, honey? Glad to see Rilakuma found a home on your bulletin board.

7:50 PM  
Blogger cheryl said...

give me the dimensions of that coconut and you might score one yourself :)

11:38 PM  
Blogger cheryl said...

Hi knit nurse!
I actually made the pattern up as I went along. Here are some loose instructions if you want to make one yourself:

I used a skein of Manos Del Uraguay and a set of #8 dpn's. I got about 4 stitches to an inch - so I multiplied that by 22 inches (or insert the diameter of your head... mine may be larger LOL) and cast on 88 stitches. I purled 4 rows, knit 4 rows - repeat 3 more times or until desired length before shaping. (The fun thing about this hat is that it scrunches up real tight but there is a lot of yarn there that you can pull down around your ears) Knit (or purl depending what row your on) 2 together, knit 10 and repeat until end of row. Keep going with the purl 4 rows/knit 4 rows, but also do a decrease row every 3-4 rows. The next decrease row will be knit 2 tog, knit 9 then 8 and so on. When you have only a few stitches left, like 10, run your yarn through all remaining loops and pull it shut! voila! I put a button on the top of mine for extra fun.
Hope this helps - thanks for stopping by!

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home