Monday, November 27, 2006

test knitting

Hi all,
Hope everyone had a wonderful and tasty Thanksgiving holiday. We had a fire cranking in the fireplace all afternoon, a friend over and a bunch of cute little cornish game hens with other delicious treats. and movies. and knitting. very nice.



Still motoring away on Christmas gifts here, but I also was able to do some test knitting on the meathead hat. I was able to get in on the meathead knit-along run by Larissa. It was a quick and easy knit with the fun joy of embellishing the hat any way you pleased. I was trying to decide between knit flowers, felted knit flowers, or embroidery with buttons, but I finally settled on making a flower out of a vintage button and some wool circles cut with pinking shears. The hat is so chunky - 2 stitches to the inch! - that the embellishment needs to have some visual heft to work with the hat.



I also blockprinted about 80 cards. I'm really happy with the way the design turned out - pictures tomorrow of the cards. We already lost our light for the day! sigh. More to come tomorrow...

2 Comments:

Blogger lillamamman said...

Hello Cheryl, I ended up at your blog when looking for patterns. I love your things, I wish I was as good knitter as you! Do you have any suggestions to what I can make of Yarn Bees Pizzazz (I'd love to make a baby sweater, but don't know where to get a hold of pattern). I am originally from Sweden, so I'm having a hard time trying to adopt to the american way of knitting (which is quit different than our Scandinavian way). Anyway, good luck with your stuff!

7:49 PM  
Blogger cheryl said...

welcome lillamamman!
Thanks so much for your wonderful comments, you made my knitting day!

It's true that american patterns are hard to follow and have their own stange language of abbreviation. I really like knitting from charts, myself, sometimes I chart the patterns out to make sure I know how it works.

"Knitting for Baby" by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nichols, is a great book that walks you through how american patterns work. It also has a number of cool patterns for babies - I've made a couple of sweaters and felted toy balls from this book.

You should also try the online magazine - knitty.com. In their archive section if you scroll down they have a section for kids.
The "trellis" and 'cargo" patterns are pretty cute.

Have fun knitting and thanks again for visiting!

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home