Thursday, January 04, 2007

the last of the sneaky christmas knitting revealed:

squirrel mitts - frontsides

squirrel mittens for elliott!

pattern: modified version of Squirrel and Oak Mittens by Hello Yarn
I love this pattern from Hello Yarn and wanted to make a version for my husband who has a soft spot for squirrels. I think not such a soft spot for the oak leaves so I decided to make two squirrel mittens

yarn:
Telemark in Northern Green and Chestnut from Knitpicks

needles: no. 3's - used 2 - 24" circulars to knit in the round

gauge: 6 sts. and 8 rows to 1"

started: November 22

finished: December 19

modifications: The pattern is written to fit a woman, so I took graph paper and redrew the pattern chart based on the size of elliott's hands, keeping the gauge the pattern calls for to keep the detail in the squirrel. I also could have used heavier weight yarn to make a larger size, but I guess that would have been too easy! I knit the second mitten in reverse so the squirrels would face each other. The final mitten size is 4 1/2" wide by 11" tall (to the tip of the point).

squirrel mitts - backsides

squirrel mitts detail

squirrel mitt in action

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home