Sunday, April 29, 2007

back in the saddle

It's been quite an exciting and busy couple of weeks with only some time to knit and less time to muse about it. There was lots of work, and then a trip to Washington DC to visit my sister and my old college professor, and then lots of work when I returned. My brain is a swirling pool of mush and I can only remember things for a few minutes at a time before I switch over to the next thought that distracts me, kind of like a drunken bumblebee weaving from one flower to the next in a stupor. Elliott caught me going through the apartment muttering "I must remember to feed the sourdough starter!".

Anyway here are some highlights in no particular order:

1) I learned how to crochet a granny square. I love granny squares! My grandma made all sorts of granny square blankets, but she passed on before I realized that I wanted to know how to make one. I'm pretty smitten but haven't had time to make more than 1 1/2.

first granny square!

2) I finished the Noni prism bag.

noni prism bag

noni prism bag lining

noni prism bag detail

Specs:
pattern: Noni prism bag - small fair isle version
yarn: WEBS Stockbridge: colors black and Stone Blue - 7 skeins of black and 6 skeins of blue
needles: 11's - 32" circulars
gauge: about 10 sts. to 4 inches
finishing: bag has sewn in zipper, handles, stiffening panels and lining

This is actually a store sample for WEBS so it had a deadline and I had to work on it late at night after my other work. So unfortunately this means I didn't get any good photos of the finishing work. And I can't get too attached to it. My friend let me felt it in her washing machine and didn't even freak out when hairy fibers were emitted in great quantity and were floating about the tub. The bag managed to sneak out of the pillowcase I had it in. The bag has a handsewn chunky zipper, plastic cross stitch mesh panels to give it shaping and a handsewn lining. I think the finishing work takes longer than the knitting, but the bagis so much better when you do it.

3) Elliott and I went to Washington DC to visit my sister, her husband, my old college professor and his wife.

DC trip mosaic

We had a great time! The weather was incredible, in the 80's and not humid, a nice break from new england. The mall and monuments were not crowded - also very nice. We did your basic sightseeing, as my sister and Elliott had not spent much time in the capitol. I also took a break from knitting and didn't even look up local yarn stores. But no fears! I'm back on the bandwagon.

This week promises to be busy but more yarn posts soon.
happy spring!

7 Comments:

Blogger Macoco said...

Whoah that purse is amazing! I love the way the colors mottled together.

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that bag! I might have to try making a Noni bag sometime.

Just wanted to say hi! I'm enjoying reading your blog. :)

-- Your Sockapalooza 4 Pal.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Your Noni bag turned out wonderful. You have inspired me to give one a try. Have never felted before.

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[Ah, the old Washington Monument picture!] Very nice purse. Also, what is a granny square for?

11:30 PM  
Blogger cheryl said...

Hi sockapalzooa 4 pal!
Thanks for visiting the blog - hope you're having a good sping.
cheers,
c

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I ask what yarn you used for your granny square? I loved the colors! I have never seen one made out of a self striping yarn before, what a clever idea! Its gorgeous.

1:16 AM  
Blogger cheryl said...

Hi Kathy,
I can't find the label, but I'm pretty sure that it's Patons Classic Wool. I got it at Michaels this past January.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home