Thursday, April 05, 2007

finally, the knitting

While there has been a bunch of knitting going on over here, I feel like I have almost nothing to show. It feels like a Sisyphean task - you might remember this guy from Greek mythology. Paraphrasing wildly here, this guy got punished by the gods for much trickery by having to roll a huge rock up a steep hill but everytime he gets close to the top, the rock escapes and comes crashing down to the bottom and he has to start again. It feels like that.

Elliott's sweater, case in point. I thought the third time on the hem would be the charm, but I was clearly mistaken.

pile of naughy hem

Even though I did math based on the gauge I had gotten, when I started knitting the body of the sweater, and it grew enough to not be constrained by the shorter circular needles, I saw that the hem was flaring out in a ripply dreadful sort of too big kind of way. Sigh. So instead of pulling out the hold thing, I picked up the stitches on the first row of the main body and cut off the hem. I'm using much smaller needles to reknit the hem. I think the problem lies in the fact that the red hem shetland spindrift is just a hair thicker than the shetland wool I got from the warehouse at Webs. So even though it looks like I just keep showing you the same photo - I really have done lots of knitting!

e's sweater bottom band

At this point I'm knitting on both ends!

And on more of the same kind of knitting here is the second pomatomus sock. I knit the first on over christmas, but when I finished I really thought it was too stretchy so I'm knitting this on 2.0mm needles instead of 2.75 as the pattern calls for. The second sock seems better - but you know what that means. The first sock has to be ripped and reknit to match.

pomatomus sock progress.jpg

And I've made more mitered squares with the dyed yarn - and started to seam block together so it won't be a dreadful pile of finishing at the end. I do about one square a day, as doing any more knitting with cotton seems to make my wrists hurt. Anyone else have this problem?

mitered blanket progress

3 Comments:

Blogger livnletlrn said...

I'm faced with the exact same flare thing at the bottom of a sweater in progress. I'm loving your stranded pattern!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

That's a lot of knitting going on! I absolutely adore the yarn you're using for the socks. beautiful.

10:27 AM  
Blogger cheryl said...

The hem looks so much better reknit with a much smaller needle - I just finished it last night. I'm glad you like the stranded pattern - I have the chart for it as a PDF file if you're interested - email me at cherylaburke at gmail.com

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home