Monday, March 12, 2007

weekend activities

I had fun puttering around the apartment this weekend, cleaning and organizing and such, when suddenly I got the urge to pull out my dye pot. The work on the mitered square blanket has stalled recently, mostly due to the fact that I need some new colors to add to the mix. But in my organizing I found a white skein of sugar and cream cotton, perfect for the blanket, so I wound it into two hanks and routed though my dyes. I generally like using fiber reactive dyes, but they won't work on cotton, so I pulled out my small stash of RIT dye. Using RIT dye is like shooting in the dark, as the color on the package never reflects the you might end up with. But sometimes you can get some fun results. Here's what I got, using a bit of fuchsia on one hank and a bit of mint green (or apparently turquoise!) on the other.

dyed yarn

What's that? A bit garish you say? Normally I would completely agree, but let's look at the yarn again in context of the existing squares.

dyed yarn with blanket pieces

Better, huh? Isn't it fun and strange how all colors change depending on what they are adjacent to? I spent a lot of time in color class in college to learn that handy trick!

But knitting, you ask, did you actually knit this weekend or just mess around with yarn? Don't you worry baby, there was knitting galore.

petticoat sock in progress

Here is the start of the petticoat sock from Weekend Knitting. A beautiful pattern, I must say, I love the way the top folded picot edge hem becomes wavy due to the striped lace pattern. I'm in the home stretch and hoping to keep the enthusiasm for sock no. 2.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kaitie Tee said...

Well I liked the colors in either context, but that could be me yearning for Spring and brightness. Love the sock!

12:43 PM  
Blogger nessagr said...

Hi Cheryl,

I just started these socks this weekend, and have been having a horrible time. Did you find any problems with the pattern, or am I just not getting it? First of all, I tried the top twice, and both times when I pulled the waste yarn out, the main yarn came undone, too. Any ideas/suggestions about what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated- thanks! nessagr@gmail.com

4:19 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Your yarns came out beautifully. They do look really nice with the other colors. I could definitely use a color course to help me experiment more.

11:13 AM  
Blogger cheryl said...

Hi Nessagr,

That's sounds awfully frustrating! Here is how I went about it - hopefully it might help you out.

I used an invisible crochet cast on to cast the stitches onto a spare 2.75mm straight needle.
Eunny Jang has the best tutorial for this cast on about half way down this page http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/03/majoring_in_lace_part_iv.html

Then I knit the cast on stitches onto the double pointed needles - knit 4 rows, picot row, knit 4 more rows...

Then I undid the crochet cast on and put each main yarn stitch on another double pointed needle one at a time - it took me a little while to get them all on the new needle. Then I folded the hem and knit together one stitch from each needle. Since I was using double pointed needles, I undid the cast on for only the same number of stitches as on the "live" needle on the spare needle. knit those together and then undid the cast on for the next needles worth. This would probably be more simple if I was using 2 circulars.

Anyway hope that helps you out - I hate being frustrated by patterns.

Thanks for the comments on the colors - I did some more dying this weekend for the blanket - more color posts to come.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home