Saturday, February 17, 2007

yarn breakfast

So this morning I was having breakfast with Elliott and he said: Do you want to come with me to Northampton while I do a bit of work?

me: What would I do there while you're working?

e: I don't know - don't you want to go to the yarn store?

me: If I go to the yarn store I'll probably come home with yarn.

e: And the problem with that is?

How can I resist such an enabling pro-yarn husband? So I ended up at WEBS, petting the yarn and coming home with a few items:

small booty from webs

I've been wanting to knit that cute baby sweater from the Knitter's Almanac since I've been seeing some beautiful examples on Flickr like this or this. I got a couple of balls of RY Cashsoft Baby dk in a beautiful soft pink to make the sweater. I also got a few balls of Saucy Sport (love the name) in tan and berry to make the baby tart hat from Knitty. The yellow Debbie Bliss cotton needs to be knit into mitered squares. Mitered squares you ask? What mitered squares?

start of mitered square blanket

Umm these mitered squares. I still have a lot of cotton yarn left over from Ella's baby blanket and it somehow got in my head that if knit a square once in a while, I'd have a blanket in no time at all or something like that... At any rate it's a easy way to experiment with different color combinations. We'll see how it goes. For Ella's blanket I had a lot of fun dying the yarn to get some different variations of oranges and reds. I think I'd like to do a little more experimentation with dying for this blanket.

basic recipe baby hat

And last but not least, some of our friends in Boston just had their second son - so I whipped up a tiny tot hat to send along. Happy babies!

2 Comments:

Blogger tomoko said...

you've gotta love your pro-yarn man. :D
and your baby hat is mmm mmm delicious.
xoxo
t

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Webs is a dangerous place! Especially with their damn discount - it's very easy to justify just a few more skeins to get the 20% off. I think you showed very good restraint!

Are you making the blanket for yourself? A color-theory blanket sounds like a fun idea - you should definitely dye some cool colors for it!

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home