Tuesday, February 13, 2007

back to the frog pond...

I was working on e's sweater tonight and about 6 rows into the pattern when I had the good sense to check the gauge. Somehow I was getting 7 stitches to the inch, not the 8 stitches the swatch had. Doh! I moved the knitting onto a lifeline of cotton thread and measured it - sure enough the sweater was about 55" around - what I would get for 390 stitches at 7 stitches to an inch. However that is WAY too huge, I only need a 48" diameter sweater to fit mr. e. So sadly away I ripped. The good news is that in visiting with the math again, I now only need 340 stitches (well 336, but 340 works better with the pattern repeats) that's much less knitting overall. Also I had a garter stitch border which in retrospect should have been knit on a smaller needle size to keep it from splaying out a bit. But somehow I didn't have the heart to cast on 330 stitches on a 2.25mm knitting needle tonight. I'll save that fun for tomorrow, especially if we are trapped in the house due to the "significant" snow storm that the media is predicting. I've got food and yarn so I should be okay...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home