Tuesday, February 06, 2007

finished object: circles seamless yoke sweater

circles yoke sweater frontside

circles yoke sweater backside

circles yoke sweater side

it's finished!
pattern: my own
yarn: main body - scottish wool from WEBS (if I remember correctly mill ends from JCrew)
yoke: various colors of Lopi Light and one ball of Mission Falls wool (pinky red)
needles: knit picks options circular 8's and 6's for the hems
gauge: 16 sts. and 28 rows to 4"
started: January 16th 2007
finished: February 4th 2007

notes: This is my first adult-sized sweater design - and look it fits me! While I've been known to alter and adjust designs freely, this is my first attempt at making a sweater without some sort of pattern safety net. I did get some help from Elizabeth Zimmerman's EPS system and by meticulously pulling measurements from my favorite fitting Gap sweater. It was great fun to develop the chart for the yoke design and to ply with color combinations and stash yarn. This is my first seamless yoke sweater and currently I'm swooning with the construction. It seems to combine a great fit without any of the underarm bagginess of the drop-shoulder sweaters with what feels like "natural happy" knitting. No shaping and trying to wrangle set in sleeves into their armholes.

Plus the sweater is toasty warm which is a real plus right now. I actually had Elliott take these shots inside our apartment since I couldn't imagine standing outside in the snow without a coat on. The fun thing is that you can see our mantle and a beautiful painting by my friend Rachel. She also make incredible frames included the one for that painting and has a framing business in Portland Oregon. If you need anything framed you should visit her website.

See all posts on this project.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! I love your modern motifs and colors in that traditional style. Fantastic sweater!

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is gorgeous!!! Really, you've done an amazing job and it looks fabulous on you. many knitting blessings to you, my friend. alicia

4:51 PM  
Blogger cheryl said...

thanks! I think that was the best part, keeping the traditional construction style but adding some fun yarnbee style.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater looks fabulous! I love the yoke and the hint of contrast color at the bottom. And it fits you perfectly, awesome!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

I love it SO much! You really did a beautiful job on the design - the circle motif is so great. Way to go!!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Very pretty!

How did you figure out the waist shaping (I'm not seeing things, right, you did some waist shaping)?
Was that from the GAP sweater you measured?

6:41 AM  
Blogger cheryl said...

Hi Rebecca,
You've got a good eye there - I 've definitely put in some waist shaping.
I did put the measurements off of the Gap sweater. Essentially the sweater is 40" and the waist shaping is 37". Since I was getting 4 stitches to an inch, I decreased 4 stitches (at the beginning and end of each row) three times, every 6 rows to match the shaping of the Gap sweater. I knit even for 3" and then increased 4 stitches every 6 rows. Hope that helps!

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous sweater! I think you have mastered Zimmerman's precentages and come up with a fantastic design! Great knitting!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Beautiful sweater!

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just fabulous!!!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great job! I'm doing the same thing now and really pleased to see that there are other people who has done well it from the first try! Very beautiful!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Fun is always in style. said...

Really beautiful sweater & I enjoyed your documentation of the project - thanks!

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home