Friday, January 26, 2007

the problem is revealed...

I've discovered a problem, one that I've tried not to acknowledge in the hopes that it will go away. But it doesn't. The problem you ask? The problem is that I come up with things I want to knit, especially sweaters, complicated sweaters knit on tiny toothpick needles; and discover yarn that I need to own and fondle and knit into the tiny gauge sweaters SO VERY MUCH FASTER than I can actually knit. The ratio is completely off. Yesterday I flirted with Lisette in Rowan 36 for a bit on the internet, then fell in love all over again with Rogue, ooh la la, visited other knitters stash yarn on Flickr, thought about 3 other projects and actually only knit approximately 3" of one sleeve of the seamless yoke sweater. sigh.

But in dwelling upon it more, this may not be such a horrible problem. I spend a lot of my time knitting actually also designing, modifying, and tweaking the next project(s) in my mind. And probably the more time I spend considering how I'm going to construct something and what I'm going to make it out of, makes it a better finished piece. And I can edit out the sweaters that don't make the cut, sweaters that might be fun to knit but I would never wear. Or sweaters that might be soooo dreadfully boring to knit, that I would wear and enjoy but I could get them from the store. Plus there is the BUDGET which really limits the amount of yarn I purchase. This is also a good thing. I'm much better now at buying yarn for a specific project (that I've mulled over in my head), not just because the temptress yarn skein is soft and beautiful. So I have a pretty small stash and a big pile of ideas.

tiny lined bags.jpg

Because all posts need a photo here's one of little knit bags I make out of leftover yarn in an effort to keep the stash small. Depending on the wool they might be felted. I usually line them with fabric and sew a zipper in by hand. Immediate gratification!

2 Comments:

Blogger tomoko said...

so good to hear that your stash is kept small. "temptress" yarn skeins can easily take over our living space without us knowing...

see you on wed!

6:02 AM  
Blogger cheryl said...

I almost had a bad temptress skein moment at the WEBS after christmas sale, but luckily Elliott was with me!
Plus you never get anough to make what you want - or you buy way to much... see you Wednesday with the goods!

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home