Sunday, September 21, 2008

you know it's a good handmade gift if you want to keep it.

Or at least I think so anyway.

ripple blanket

The belated wedding gift is finally done. The bad news is I want to keep it. The good news is I want to keep it and I have a lot of left over yarn and can make another one for me. Anyone want to crochet one for me?

ripple blanket

specs:
pattern: Soft Waves stitch in "200 Ripple Stitch Patterns" by Jan Eaton
yarn: lots of colors of Cascade 220 with some leftovers of Valley Yarns Northampton and a few other odds and ends
hook: H- 5.0mm
size: roughly 54" by 48" - I was aiming for a good lap sized blanket

ripple blanket on the clothesline

The hardest thing about this blanket was getting a decent photo. Elliott and I did a fun (well fun for me) photo shoot earlier in the week with me running around holding the blanket behind me and me wrapped up like a big burrito in the blanket but the nice sunny day was wreaking havoc with the light meter on the camera. Either everything was blown out and the colors were glowing or it looked like we were shooting with an eerie black backdrop. So when I was up early the other morning, the light was much better, it was bright out but overcast with some mist in the air. Much better for photographing crazy color.

11 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

I agree, if you want to keep it, it's a sure sign you've made an excellent gift. That blanket is so cheerful! Perfect for a wedding gift.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Awesome job! I love it! I would totally keep it and knit them some socks instead! hehehe

8:47 PM  
Blogger Tuulia said...

I agree with you - if you want to keep it, it's probably a very good gift :) I love the colors of your afghan. It's superpretty!

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, it's gorgeous! I would totally want to keep it, too. But that's definitely a sign of a good handmade gift!

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh... pretty pretty! I'm just finishing up my first afghan, and although I love having them around the house, they're not something I can say that I particularly enjoy making. But hardly anyone I know makes blankets anymore so I'm always excited to see someone else out there keeping up the craft, especially your fine example!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great blanket. I love it! Maybe after I crochet one for me I'll do one for you. ;-) Ha ha ha!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Malea said...

It is fabulous!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's amazing!!! I was thinking about starting one, after seeing Lisa working on one (and learning how to crochet!!!). It looks great!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Beautiful! It's a great gift, but I if I were you, I would never want to part with it.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry! Can't keep it! It's too nice to make a memorable gift. Love it so much.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Jill L said...

this is great!

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home