Wednesday, November 01, 2006

turkish puppets galore

Hi all!

Today I'm making shadow puppets for my husband Elliott's theater company - Ishah 'El Theatre Arts Collaborative. Their first performance involves shadow puppet plays featuring traditional characters from Turkish, Middle Eastern and Indian folktales. What is a shadow puppet, you ask? Essentially the stage is a big light box and the puppets show up as colored silhouettes against a sheer screen. It's very cool -trust me! The performances will be on November 11 and 12 at 3:00 at 6 Trumbull Road in Northampton, MA. If that's local to you please do come and check it out, should be a fun and amazing show for people of all ages and grown up kids.

We are using traditional Turkish shadow puppets as a basis for the designs and kind of winging it from there. I haven't done this kind of drawing and painting on a while and its really a lot of fun. Here are parts/pieces for a few of the characters.







In other news, I got a great package from my friend Rachel in Portland in the mail yesterday with this ball of orange baby alpaca yarn. I can't stop fondling it - its so soft and warm. I think I need to make something with it that goes around my neck, maybe a cowl - any good patterns out there?



And last but not least, I'm working away at the floral sweater. I don't want to bore you with photos that all look the same as I inch forward on the sleeves, but I'm almost at the end of the first one so that's worth a shot. Strangely, I thought the sleeves would be shorter than four repeats of the large floral design and I was coming up with other options, but when I tried it on, the tape measure lied to me and four repeats is good. Who knows? It's been nice knit the sleeves top down and try them on for length, but its a pain to have the whole sweater on my lap as I knit and have to twist it around constantly. It's slowing me down, man.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger tomoko said...

I knew this post won't end without a image of yarn or sweater of some sort! You NEVER fail me, Cheryl! We are looking forward to the show and also to see your beautiful sweater in person!

3:04 PM  
Blogger cheryl said...

I'm so glad you can come, we went over the script tonight and you're in for a treat! I think trying to post more regularly on the blog makes me want to knit more!

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home