Wednesday, August 01, 2007

more knitting than posting apparently...

I realized that I had a backlog of photos on my camera for blog postings, but I had never gotten around to taking them off and actually creating a post. Hmmm. I guess I had a case of the Julys. Luckily, it's August now and way too hot to actually go outside, so I'll give you the knitting progress.

fushia february sweater

fushia february sweater label

So when I was little, like 8 years old or so, I decided that I really wanted to be a grandmother. But I didn't want to be a mom. Nothing against my mother or any of your fine mothers, but being a fun loving, gleefully spoiling, poker playing grandma really appealed to me. Probably because my grandma Lucille was one of the most excellent women around. (Almost as cool as you mom! That's probably where you got it from!) I spent many a fine summer vacation visiting grandma and grandpa in Detroit. The daily routine consisted of me sleeping in until 10:30ish, breakfast, watching Price is Right, a daily trip to the mall where I often scored a little treat and a frozen coke from Kresge five and dime, a drive on Lake Shore Drive in Grosse Point to see the freighters, playing poker with grandma and usually losing, dinner, ice cream, watching TV with snacks as late as I wanted to stay up. Repeat. You can see the appeal - yes?

Flash forward many many years. A few months after I married Elliott, we found out that his son from his first marriage, Tristan, was expecting his first child. And yes, that made me a grandma by proxy.

That was a few years ago, and now Tristan and his wife Monica are expecting a girl in the next month or so. And that makes me a 36-year old grandma with my childhood wish fulfilled. So these grandchildren need knitted goods! Bring out the pointy sticks. I decided to go with the classic and I knit another Elizabeth Zimmerman baby sweater from Knitter's Almanac.

specs for the curious:

pattern: February baby sweater in Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmerman

yarn: RYC Cashsoft Baby DK

needles: addi naturals circular 5's

gauge: about 5 sts to 1 inch

extras: hand-embroidered label

And I've also been plugging away at the mitered square blanket. I really want to have it done! Finished! Finito. Here is a somewhat up to date progress shot:

mitered square progress

Any grandmother stories out there?

9 Comments:

Blogger maryse said...

heehee cool story granny

6:01 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Your sweater is darling!!!!Love your blanket too!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

No grandmother stories. I will be forty when my youngest starts kindergarten, so a long time until grandmotherhood for me.

Both of your projects look great!

Don't you love the Addi Natura's?! When I come into some money, I'm going to buy 24-inch and 16-inch ones in every size I could possibly use!

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 46 and not yet a grandmother - thank goodness (my girls are too young!), but I grew up in Grosse Pointe (and still live there) and remember watching the freighters too. Unfortunately, they're few and far between now, but sometimes while driving along Lakeshore I'll get lucky and see one. Yours is a sweet little sweater!

10:49 PM  
Blogger tomoko said...

i keep forgetting that you are a grandma... (one hot grandma, you make)! i loved reading the story. I have a nice picture of 8 year old you and your grandma playing poker together.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Catie said...

I love the baby sweater, such a great colour too. I love my Nonna very much and she also spoils me whenever she gets a chance. She is over 80 now and just starting to slow down. Thank you for this post, it has made me think of my Nonna during a time in the day when I normally wouldn't.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

I can't believe you're a grandma. crazy! grandma's are the best. i only knew one of my grandmother's, but she was one cool lady. she used to take us fishing and she taught me how to make great breadball bait. i also like to think that i got my craftiness from my grandmother. she used to make all kinds of things out of shells. the christmas ornaments were my favorites and i still have quite a few of them on my tree.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Your grandmother sounds awesome! The sweater is very sweet and I love the label. ;)

2:57 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Hi there, just found your blog while out surfing and wanted to let you know I'd been here (I try not to lurk too much without just saying hi!) I'm trying my hand at my first pair of socks! Haven't posted pics yet though. I love the 'Monkey' ones you made.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home