Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Pedro and I are BFF for sure

You all should definitely meet Pedro

pedro

Pedro is our friends' green checked conure. We had the great fun of having him stay at our house for a birdie sleep over with Syd the cockatiel while his parents went out of town. Pedro figured out pretty early on in his stay that I was a complete softy since I would give him his favorite treats and pet his tiny conure head whenever he snuggled next to my hand. In no time at all whenever I left the room, he would fly over and land on my shoulder whispering "pedro, hey pey" in my ear. I'm pretty sure we're best-friends-forever. I'm not quite sure how to tell Syd there is a new parrot in my life. But don't worry, Syd will always be my main man. A girl can flirt occasionally with other birds, right?

In other news, I decided to have a fun afternoon. I went to our local farm to pick up our CSA (community supported agriculture) share, and I picked an insane amount of strawberries. Enough to make to two strawberry pies, several smoothies and bags to freeze. I may have been out of control. But it's strawberry fields forever over at the farm and I hate to see any berries go to waste.

Can I tell you how much I love our farm share? Elliott and I split our share with a couple of our friends. Over six months we get weekly installments of amazing produce - whatever is in season. There are also lots of u-pick crops like the strawberries and flowers, beans, tomatoes, and peas. The particular CSA share that we have also raises literally tons of additional food for the local western mass food bank. I think it's the best deal in town and it helps the local community.

I'm not exactly sure what it is but physically being on the farm makes me incredibly happy, actually giddy with joy. On share pick up days there are all sorts of families and kids about, all enjoying the farm. It makes any day sitting in front of the computer so much better. Maybe it's the basic miracle that you can put a seed in the ground and with a little care and water it will turn into a huge plant in no time at all giving you delicious food and more seeds. And pie! Son't forget about the pie.

strawberry pie goodness

2 Comments:

Blogger Robyn - Red Bird Knits said...

My local PetSmart always seems to have 1 or 2 Conures on display. I love to watch their antics. One used to climb down his cage head first and flop onto his back the climb back up again and do it all over again. Great amusement but not for this many cat house.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

It sounds like you have a great CSA! That strawberry pie looks soooo yummy.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home