Monday, June 25, 2007

weekend craftiness galore

vintage linen daisy skirt

After rummaging through my fabric stash, I decided to make a basic a-line skirt out of some fun vintage linen fabric with giant flowers. I had a basic Butterick pattern, but a little bit of searching on the internets found me this wonderful tutorial from Green Kitchen. It really shows every step of the process and has a painless method for installing the zipper without using swear words. The only swear words I used in the process had to do with not being able to get the right top thread tension on my petulant sewing machine. The thread looked like a straight line while the bobbin thread looked fine - any suggestions?

yarn dying adventures

My friend Rachel and I also dyed two pounds of sugar and creme cotton yarn in a RIT dye extravanganza. Mostly just to see what we could come up with color-wise. I needed some more colors for the mitered-square blanket I've been working on forever and Rachel has some sort of crochet project up her sleeve.

And in plant news, you may remember this little egg with tiny seedings from my easter post:

egg plant

It grew up into a lovely petunia plant and had it's first flower today! I'm so proud of it and always amazed to see something that starts out as a tiny seed turn into a whole big plant with just soil and water.

petunia from seed

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Cute skirt! I'll have to go check out that tutorial - I also like to swear at zippers :)

10:06 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

love the fabric you chose for your skirt. i've sewn curtains and pillows, but am totally petrified of sewing clothes. the patterns are totally daunting to me.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Okay - you are out of control with your fantastic craftiness! The skirt is super cute. The yarn - YUM! I don't know why I havevn't heard of more people dyeing the sugar'n'cream yarn. And the plant - gorgeous.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Holy dishcloth cotton! That's amazing dyeing. Suddenly, I feel the need to buy much Rit dye.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Kaitie Tee said...

Hmm - now I think I should try dying some Sugar 'n Cream yarn. The petunia looks lovely.

9:19 AM  
Blogger moosie said...

so how did your dyeing extravaganza. go, Im trying to dye the same yarn with rit and dylon, but the water never runs clear so Im afraid to use it, since I used 4 different colors, its mostly just the darker fuschia that wont stop turning the water pink

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home