Sunday, January 11, 2009

stripe city

I've been waiting for a nice sunny day to take some photos of the latest knits, but it persists in being cloudy and snowy here in New England. It even had the nerve to snow another 6 inches last night. I was talking with our new landlord, who witnessed Elliott and I trying to get our Ford Focus up the curved hill in the driveway which is now an icy speedway (it took a couple of tries). I commented to him that this was shaping out to be a bad winter. He took a break from scraping snow and ice off of his car, looked at me and said " it's winter." as if every winter was as dreadful. He is probably right, I just forget the cold and darkness in the glory of summer.

So I gave up on waiting on the sunny day and took some mediocre photos instead. And then I realized that everything I've been knitting recently has been striped. What can I say - stripes make me happy.

noro stripey socks

Basic stripey socks knit from Noro Silk Garden sock s84. I tried striping the heels as well this time just to mix it up a little bit. I didn't realize that the Silk Garden sock yarn only has 330 yards until I used the entire skein for my socks. Usually I have some left over, just enough not to do much with...

noro socks poorly modeled

I never know how to take good photos of socks. Here I am lying on my back on the sofa waving my camera about with Cena the cat looking at me like I'm nuts. But she usually looks at me like that anyway.

noro socks heel detail

turn a square

When we were trapped at my parents house for Christmas during an ice storm I whipped out this turn-a-square hat by Jared Flood for Elliott. Malabrigo worsted leftovers in colorways Vaa and Lettuce. Good thing I brought so much yarn along!

stripey ripple blanket no.2

You may remember the ripple blanket for my brother who got married this past fall, the one that I really wanted to keep it for myself. I really really wanted it! So since I had a pile of cascade 220 left over anyway, I decided to make one for me. I'm taking the same approach and trying to crochet one stripe a day. I'll probably finish up when it spring rolls in to town.

It's pretty busy on the work front, so it may be a bit quiet over here at the yarnbee. I'll try to post something weekly just to keep you all somewhat entertained.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

Your pics definitely say, "I love stripes!" And why not? Bright stripes are the perfect antidote for winter gray. (Although, I also kinda like winter gray, just not a steady diet of it.)

Be careful on that icy speedway!!!!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Malea said...

I love the stripes! Coming from me the queen of neutral colors. :-)
They are bright and cheery in this weather. I had a Ford Focus years ago and it was terrible in the snow..I totally understand.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all the stripes! Those socks are exactly the sort of bright happy thing you need in the middle of winter.

I never know how to take picutres of my socks, either.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm with you on the bad winter. Seems like a lot of snow this year and last for this area. And those stripes are great! I have some Noro sock yarn to use up and I just love all the Cascade ripples. Did you go to WEBS and just pick colors you like or is there a method to the color selection?

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home