Thursday, August 30, 2007

it may look like cat barf but it's yarn

Last Monday at knitting group, Adrian from Hello Yarn was kind enough to haul her cute little traveling spinning wheel all the way on the subway so that she could show me how to spin. She patently explained all of the logistics about drafting and what my hands should be doing and about staple length and so on while I practiced treadling, and then she put some fiber in my hot little hands and every bit of knowledge I gleaned went right out the window while I tried to treadle, draft and get the yarn on the bobbin all at the same time. Needless to say that didn't really go swimmingly, but I managed to make something that looked vaguely like yarn, yarn-like at least.

first attempt at wheel spinning

I continue to be proud of my tiny yarn-like crazy twisty kinky yarn even though when I was soaking it in the sink to try and relax some of the extreme over twisting, Elliott pointed out that it looked like Cena the cat barfed in the sink.

full body cena

troublemakers!

6 Comments:

Blogger maryse said...

you were in boston?

and what is with men? sucking all our joy ;)

isn't adrian the best? she taught me how to spin.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Ami said...

Congrats on your first yarn!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

That does not look like cat barf. It is beautiful! They're total troublemakers.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my first yarn was so twisty crazy, but I loved it just the same. Good job on yours, it gets easier!

11:57 PM  
Blogger ...Sarah said...

It was a very worthy first attempt. Congratulations!

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like patting your head while rubbing your belly.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home