Saturday, September 22, 2007

so much to report...

typical philly rowhouses

I just got back from a whirlwind tour of Philadelphia which luckily included both work and play. I started off last week with three days of meetings, although I did get to seek off to visit Loop, a great yarn store on South and 19th. I may have purchased The Opinionated Knitter there, but I managed not to have a lot of yarn following me home. I had a wonderful weekend with some old friends, and then on Monday I spent the day with Lucy from ZebraKnits. It was such a treat to meet her in person and meet little and big T! She completely spoiled me with a delicious lunch, a beautiful hand crafted necklace, a hilarious vintage 1960's knitting magazine and a pile of fabric from her incredible collection of african textiles. I'm completely embarrassed to admit that I made so many purchases and got so many gifts, that I had to ship stuff home! So when my package arrives I'll have picts of the treats.

Then I spent the rest of this week going to a conference. The best thing about the convention center in Philadelphia is that it's right smack dab next to Reading Terminal Market, which is a historic farmer's market that started in 1892. They have everything from Amish baked goods and pretzels to sushi and smoothies. I got to have breakfast and lunch at all of my favorite delicious haunts.

reading terminal sign

reading terminal

And before I left I managed to finish the mitered square blanket. It was raining and sad outside, so I was finally able to photograph it this morning. I'm so glad it's done, mainly because it is the most terribly belated wedding gift for my sister - Hi sister! It's on its way!

mitered square blanket entire

mitered square blanket detail

mitered square blanket corner

mitered square blanket closeup

More photos here:

Here are the specs:
pattern: a modifed version of the mitered square blanket from the Mason Dixon Knitting book
yarn: various worsted weights of cotton yarn, mainly Sugar n' Cream and Debbie Bliss; about half of the colors were hand-dyed
needles: 8's and 6's for the borders
finished size: approx 36" x 54"
border: 20 rows of garter stitch with mitered corners
started: November 2006
finished: September 2007
notes: While I decided to use cotton yarn since I had a lot in the stash (don't ask), I find that worsted weight cotton is really hard on my hands and makes them ache. I could basically only knit about one square a day, which is part of the reason this took so freaking long. Were I ever to knit a huge blanket again it would be in wool, for sure.

And since you've made it this far through the long post you get a reward. In the category of where are they now, here is gratuitous booty shot of Ella in her baby blu jeans. Hi B + L, I swiped this off of your flickr account - hope that okay!

ella in baby blu jeans




9 Comments:

Blogger aija said...

Her blu jeans are so adorable!!

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That blanket is to die for. What a GREAT gift for your sister (belated or not!)

5:31 PM  
Blogger ...Sarah said...

I love the mitres! I am liking the blu jeans shot.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cheryl, I was so honoured that ou came and spent time with me! Thank you so much.

Great work on your mitered blanket. It must feel great to have it all done and gifted.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Wow that blanket is just so beautiful. Your sister is so lucky to have a sister like you!!

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing the blanket! Your sis is one lucky lady. I'm sure you have leftovers, are you gearing up for another?

Also, I love the baby got back photo!

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your miters look FANTASTIC! And I can't think of a cuter shot than baby booty. :)

10:53 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Very cute booty shot. Philly looks and sounds like fun.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Yay Baby Blus! I'm happy to see them cover baby bottoms everywhere. Mine served my baby until he was well past 2. xo, (Blu co-creator) Cristina Shiffman

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home