Sunday, April 06, 2008

knitting and unknitting and knitting

Long time no blog, eh blog? Work is trying to squish me - I'm thinking about that Kids in the Hall sketch "I'm crushing your head! I'm crushing your head - flatheads!!" (On a side note I had known that line for years as a cultural reference but thanks to the goodness of netflix, we got to see the original sketch with some friends last week). So brilliant, but I digress.

state of handspun yoke sweater

Here is where things stand on the handspun spiral yoke sweater. I think the last report on this was when I was knitting down from the yoke in the dark blue main body yarn for several inches only to have a reality check and realize that it was at least 4" too wide in the middle. I like a little ease, myself, but it would not be flattering at all to be adding 4+ inches to my waist. Plus think of the yarn I could save. So I ripped out all the blue, did another gauge swatch, actually washed it this time only to discover that the Rowan kid classic grew another 1/2 stitch or so. Yikes! Good thing for that swatch.

I finished the body, the lower hem, the neck hem and all sewing all the ends in and thought I was fairly home free. I knit one of the sleeves, only to discover that my math was way off and I had put in too many decreases on the sleeves too soon, to make a fabric resembling the qualities of spandex. Yikes! I ripped that sleeve out and used half the number of decreases and that seemed to do the trick.
Last night I finished the first sleeve and got the second (third?) one started.

The most exciting thing about this, other than I think I'm really going to like this sweater, is that I've got nothing else on the needles! Think about that for a second. The possibilities are endless and there is a giant sale going on at Webs... What should I make next? What are you all wanting to make?

10 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

I love how the yoke came out! Such a gorgeous pattern.

I am currently knitting a colored yoke sweater with handspun.

Some other sweaters on my list are:
- Titania by Elizabeth Klett
- Soft Linen Feather and Fan Cardigan by Pam Allen
- Aftur Sweater by Védís Jónsdóttir

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sweater is beautiful and looks like it fits great! What a great thing, the swatch, huh?

I want to make a cotton sweater for my 5 yr old. Not like he'd wear it, but still.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

The yoke of your sweater is so beautiful. I keep trying to rid myself of the knowledge that Webs is having a sale. Must not look, avert your eyes!

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty. It's a good thing you have so much patience! I keep going to Webs website, filling my cart and closing my browser. :-) I remind myself I'm going there later in the month and it's not worth paying shipping.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! Wow!

I'm currently trying to decide what I want to make for a summer cardigan-- just got my yarn in the mail today and it's not quite the color I thought it would be...

12:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It looks great, Cheryl! I've been finishing projects for a little bit now...hopefully I will have an update soon. And can I just say...I'm so jealous and miss WEBS! You are so fortunate to have nothing else on needles right now....I'm jealous!

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That yoked sweater is beautiful - hope the finishing goes well.

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater is absolutely gorgeous! Mmm, handspun.

Rob always yelps when I crush his head, which is really satisfying. Ouch! Ha, gotcha!

1:28 AM  
Blogger ...Sarah said...

Ohhh a Kids In The Hall reference. You are like an honourary Canadian now. My favourite KITH sketch was the cops and robbers low-speed chase.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Haley said...

glad the ripping and swatching was worth it. this is going to look wonderful!

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home